Saturday, May 8, 2010

Momhead


When I was young I wanted to be Nancy Drew. Her life just seemed so exciting. Adventures, besties, convertibles…Ned. It all sounded great. Then I wanted to be Anne Shirley (but really, what girl doesn’t?!) I had an “Anne of Green Gables” journal and I remember even trying to write words like, “lovely” and “splendid” in it because I thought that was how Anne might write in her journal. Embarrassing. After that I wanted to be like Audrey Hepburn. That one needs no explanation.

Over the years I have longed to be like others. My idols and role models changed depending on my age, interests, and friends. But there is one that has remained constant through the years. My Mom.

She is strong. When others are weak, she has proven to be trustworthy, constant, and encouraging. When she is weak, she knows in whom she must find her strength. She takes time to listen, to share in sorrow and joy, and offer advice when wisdom presents itself. She is full of surprises, hilarity, and wit that sometimes make you wonder if you heard her correctly. She holds me tightly and lets me go. She begins each day on her knees. She knows fear and concern but she continues on in spite of it. She is beautiful. Truly, truly, beautiful.

It is all of these things and more that make me admire, respect, love, and long to be like her. I love the way she tells me things will be okay, or cries with me when it feels like they won’t be. I love that she leaves me little notes of encouragement or sends me emails just to chat. I love how she’ll laugh with me in dressing rooms until our sides hurt and other customers wonder what on earth is going on. She is my “You’ve Got Mail” buddy, my shopping partner, my coffee date, and my best friend. And truthfully, Nancy Drew, Anne Shirley, and Audrey Hepburn got nothin’ on my Mom. Things change, people change, and life changes, but this will not change.

My blessings are countless and my mom is one of my greatest. The world is a better place because Laura Miles is in it. Period.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Oh my! Could you pass me a kleenex? I remember the Nancy Drew phase, the Anne Shirley phase (including the journal, from Carol) and the Audrey Hepburn period. But then, you caught me off guard! Thank you. You made my day, and I love you more than you will ever know. Mom

kate said...

Funny, I wrote the same thing word for word to my mom, too! ;) Only "Laura" was "Sandy" and "Audrey Hepburn" was "Tara Lapinski" (ice skater) :)

Ann said...

You always have the most amazing words to share Elizabeth! I miss you.

Oh, and I never wanted to be Anne Shirley because she spelled her name wrong. She's just plain crazy. ;)